KLICEK

Rekomendowane odpowiedzi

Pascal Blanche

blanche.jpg

pascal-qa-zajawki.jpg

His works are avalible here / Jego prace dostępne są tutaj:

http://www.3dluvr.com/pascalb

Rules: / Regulamin :

- We ask questions only in english, if you don't speak english write in polish and request translation. Otherwise, post will be deleted. / Każde pytanie piszemy po angielsku, jeżeli nie umiesz pisać po angielsku, napisz po polsku z prośbą o przetłumaczenie inaczej post zostanie skasowany.

- Ask only serious questions on works, plans for the future, advices etc. Don't ask for tutorials and such. / Zadajemy poważne pytania, na poziomie, odnośnie pracy, planow na przyszlosc, porad i tak dalej. Nie prosimy o tutoriale i podobnego rodzaju rzeczy.

- Pascal can choose questions he would like to answer, so we ought to be patient waiting for his answer. Complains are not welcome. / Pascal ma prawo wybrać pytanie na które chce odpowiedzieć bądź nie, dlatego nie płaczemy w wątku, że nie odpowiedział na pytanie, bo kara będzie surowa.

- Be polite and friendly. / Zachowanie kultury w wypowiedziach i pytaniach.

Edytowane przez leander

• Odpowiedzi 28
  • Created
  • Ostatniej odpowiedzi

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow ! Amazing Pascal in Q&A ! Well done max3d ! :D

I hav a few questions for You.

First of all I would like to congratulate for your desing of splash screen in max 9

That was realy good splash :)

Have You got any diffrent intrests apart from CG maybe some sports or games ?

You have very orginal style and spot on characters. Did you always work in max ir did You work on diffrent software ?

I was thinking, why you render splash screen in vray, why not in Mental ray ? I think MR is good for this stuff and is witch max ;D

For modeling you use some plugins for exaple polyboost or just standart of 3ds max ?

Again realy nice ask You some questions :)

edit:

please show your new photo if this from page is old ;D

Take care and congrats m8 ! :)

Oooh wow, I'm so excited to see you here, you're one of my favourite artists and an inspiration for me!

If I manage to calm down a bit about that till tomorrow, I will ask you some questions then

So nice that you agreed about the QA :)

I'd like to invite you to this forum's paintball event next spring in Gliwice, you'll have the possibility to shoot anyone who asked stupid questions ;)

Hi Pascal! Great to see You here.

Watching Your gallery I can tell You definitely love color. In really bold way :) Where did it come from? Do You have any background as a painter? Is there any tips on color You could give us? E.g. how You recognize that it's right set of colors. Any special feeling at the moment it appears on screen? ;) I know it's a messy question, but maybe You have some theory about your delight of such strong and surprising combination of colors. Glad to hear anything :)

Wow Pascal Blanche here!

I don't have any questions I just wanna say that You are my inspiration since my beginning in CG. Every time i started my 3ds max 9 I looked on splash screen made by You and it encouraged me to work. Many thanks for that and wish You luck(they were healthy on Titanic)!

Edytowane przez Tomala

Hi Pascal!

Do you always have a precise concept of your work in your head or maybe you just sit there and experiment and just let one idea evolve to another?? ( maybe both ?? )

Do you like working on commercial or personal pieces more?? What I meen by that is: do you favour the idea of creating everything by yourself from concept to execution or maybe the challenge of working with bounds is better. ( maybe both again ;) ?? )

I hope the questions are clear and don't seem dumb ;).

Cheers, it's great having you on this forum!

Hey Pascal, thanks for coming to this forum and sharing your knowledge with us.

I'm sure you've done plenty of freelance work, and I was just wondering if you could share your thoughts and warnings about how to protect ourselves as young to the industry, fresh out of school freelancers.

Hi Pascal!! You are one of my favourite artists and this opportunity to ask a few questions here to you is just great!

Your pictures are sometimes much much more in a 2d style.. yet 3d :) Sometimes flat background (a wall.. ), sometimes flat colors, some light here and there... and always very nice composition :) The question is why 3d? When you tend to bend into 2d so much... is it because every 3d picture is still 2d after the rendering process? :)

hi pascal

your works are just great , so inspiring and orginal. Can you tell me what your workflow looks like ? how much of picture is real 3d shader and how many is photoshop works with layers etc. Ive noticed lately that some colors with excusion mode in PS turn colors in smtng similar that You have in Yours pictures. This is the trick ? :)

I will give You my soul and made an altar with your picture in the center and lots of candles on the sides for some tips cuz this really has been bothering me.

In the end, whats your favorite artists, movies, writers?

thanks

Gość User190

Man, I saw your arts when I was a total beginner - they charmed me. Most of them are amazing. What influenced you most, when you started your journey with 3d? I am also curious why cartoon style is most liked by you?

You have made some really beautiful artworks. My favourites are the nest and Valkyrie. Are those, and the other pictures in your gallery, made on order, or are they your personal works just for the joy of it?

When you do a lot of commercial work, do you still find some time and energy for doing personal works?

Do you have enough time for private life, friends and family?

What are your other interests, except for 3d art?

When you were younger and not in the industry yet, was 3d art always the only thing you could imagine as a job, or did you sometimes think of going into another direction?

Do you have some plans and goals for the future? Considering both your job, and your artistical developement?

Edytowane przez Ania

ok! sorry for the delay guys! here we go!

@iker eastern: yes i was drawing at a young age, even went to model drawing sessions when i was 14...

i just participated one time to an animation contest and made it to the third place, here's a chunk of the short i made back in 1997:

http://www.3dluvr.com/pascalb/croom.m1v

@Hcpiter:

First of all I would like to congratulate for your desing of splash screen in max 9

That was realy good splash

thanks! you may like the little "how to" i posted there about the 3Dsmax9 splachscreen...

3dsmax_commission_work _proces

Have You got any diffrent intrests apart from CG maybe some sports or games ?

i have two kids, so i have to do some sport from time to time ;)

You have very orginal style and spot on characters. Did you always work in max ir did You work on diffrent software ?

Mainly 3dsmax yes, but Zbrush too

I was thinking, why you render splash screen in vray, why not in Mental ray ? I think MR is good for this stuff and is witch max ;D

I use vray a lot, yes, mainly because it i simple to use.. im not that technical.. i have to try brazil too.. heard lots of good things about it

For modeling you use some plugins for exaple polyboost or just standart of 3ds max ?

Standard editable mesh ;) im an old school modeler

please show your new photo if this from page is old ;D

Lol i have to find a better one, yes, this one is 7 years old already!

@Leander..

Wow dont get me started with colors, i could talk about it for hours ;) I may even make a Gnomon CD one day or another about composition AND colors...

To make a quick answer, i would say that my colors comes from my heavily influence from illustrators and painters like Corben, Druillet, Toppi, Moebius, Druillet, Frazetta, Foss, all the guys that back in 80's worked with Heavy metal, comic books.... I dont have painter backround, no.. i started as illustrator ( traditionnal) for videogame magazines, and my colors where already going this way... Like you said, i have this special feeling when i find the right colors, hard to describe... i could devellop way more if you want ;)

@Gavel72

i work with max since the software exists.. in fact i was already working with 3dstudio on Dos bfore that ;) I use zbrush too

@Mr.Mts

Do you always have a precise concept of your work in your head or maybe you just sit there and experiment and just let one idea evolve to another?? ( maybe both ?? )

it really depends...really! But most of the time i have a precise idea of the comp, and less precise ideas on the details

Do you like working on commercial or personal pieces more?? What I meen by that is: do you favour the idea of creating everything by yourself from concept to execution or maybe the challenge of working with bounds is better. ( maybe both again ?? )

Lol.. both again ;) sometimes i just like to work for myself, espcially after hard days of production, when i get a bit frustrated by the lack of creativity, and sometimes i really like to bounce on ideas and find clever solutions within commercial constraints

I hope the questions are clear and don't seem dumb .

Cheers, it's great having you on this forum

Theres no dumb questions ;) ( yoda speacking:P )

ill answer other questions later in the day ;)

Hello, Pascal, nice to see you here. :)

You've got so many praises here, that I won't praise you any more (however you deserve that), in order of not to bore you to tears.

Every artist has usually millions of ideas in his head. Ideas, that in fact can't be all created even in hundred livetimes. I wonder, what is your way of choosing themes of graphics you want to create or you've created already. I mean your own ideas, ofcourse, not commercial artworks.

Besides I agree with Ania: it'd be great to see you on our annual meting in Gliwice in spring. Main point of such a meeting is a paintball match. Imagine: over fifty CG artists, mad of lack of monitors in font of their eyes, every one of them looking like ground samples exhibition, crawling in mud, grass and water, shooting each other on sight. Great way to reminding old good times of childhood... :D

Edytowane przez Shogun 3D

Hi Pascal!

wow, I didn't know that you were responsible for max9 splash screen. I was looking at it for some time now and it never came to me that it was your work. Congratulations! Must be really fulfilling to do such a piece huh?

Just wanted to wish you the best in upcoming years of your career :) As I can see you've changed a bit direction in which you're heading with the newly created pieces.

Nice!

:eek: Wow! Great to see you here Pascal!! :D

I may even make a Gnomon CD one day or another about composition AND colors...

I was just thinking yesterday that would be great If some gnomon DVDs done by you would shown up. Are you planning do some in the future?

I'm big fan of gnomons and even bigger fan of your art and if this two things come together my dreams would come true ;)

im back, thanks for your patience ;)

@moleism:

I'm sure you've done plenty of freelance work, and I was just wondering if you could share your thoughts and warnings about how to protect ourselves as young to the industry, fresh out of school freelancers.

Simple: Never work for french compagnies, they never pay! lol ;)

More seriously. never work on low rate!the way i evaluate a good price is simple: i think about the number of hours the freelance work will take, and i ask for a price based on that.. 10/20/30 hours work? dont be afraid to put the reel price of you hard work! Talk about money almost at thirst contact, and ask for a split in the contract if you dont make it to the end for some reason ( they changed their mind and dont need your work any more for example)

i always make sure to get at least half of the money if something goes wrong

@Kris_R: i get this question from time to time...

Reason why i use 3D is... because i like it ;) 3D is the one and only medium that allows me to "sculpt" my own world, and give it life if i want to ( i am animator as well... not a super good one, but i manage) When i was younger, i was always creating puppets, creatures and even made some shorts using stop motion camera.. i was a big fan of ray harry hausen's movies, so when 3D started to become more popular, i saw there the opportunity to create my own worlds... But because i have a deep interrest in illustration too, well, i mix all of that in one and single piece... 3D/2D.. does it makes sence?

@ttaaddeekk

Can you tell me what your workflow looks like ? how much of picture is real 3d shader and how many is photoshop works with layers etc.

i would say that my work is 80% 3D and 20% 2D

here are some step by steps that could answer your questions ;)

http://pascalblanche.deviantart.com/gallery/#process

Ive noticed lately that some colors with excusion mode in PS turn colors in smtng similar that You have in Yours pictures. This is the trick ?

kindoff yes ;) i usually isolate dark and bright colors, and change slightly their hue/value at some place.. if the highlights are in cold clor, i will warm up the dark colors for example...

In the end, whats your favorite artists, movies, writers?

huh... that would be a long list :)

movie: Ridley Scott

writer: fritz Leiber, Frank herbert

Artist: Moebius, Frazetta, Katsuya Terada, Toppi, Corben, Bisley, Druillet, Jon Foster, Katsuhiro Otomo, Suydam, Brom, Wayne Barlowe..

@ M@Ti:

What influenced you most, when you started your journey with 3d? I am also curious why cartoon style is most liked by you?

i almost answered that question in a if think ;)

@Ania:

You have made some really beautiful artworks. My favourites are the nest and Valkyrie. Are those, and the other pictures in your gallery, made on order, or are they your personal works just for the joy of it?

all those picts are my personnal work yes ;)

When you do a lot of commercial work, do you still find some time and energy for doing personal works?

Do you have enough time for private life, friends and family?

Yes, it's a question of organisation ;)

What are your other interests, except for 3d art?

i read a lot, im always in comic book shops and movie theeaters, and i also take looong breacks to take care of my family

When you were younger and not in the industry yet, was 3d art always the only thing you could imagine as a job, or did you sometimes think of going into another direction?

well, i always knew that i wanted to create mnsters, animation movies, stuff like this, way before 3D became what it is now..

Do you have some plans and goals for the future? Considering both your job, and your artistical developement?

Oh yes, plenty.. i want to create books on my own mainly, but also movies, games.... things will take time, but i am patient ;)

@Shogun 3D

thanks but ill pass, im not too much into shooting stuff you know ;)

@Kefas

yes, we want to work together the gnomon guys and I, but those things takes time, i dont have any right now, but i will surely make one dvd!

thanks! you may like the little "how to" i posted there about the 3Dsmax9 splachscreen...

http://pascalblanche.deviantart.com/...roces-91221145

very nice :) I didn't think you have such a chaotic workflow, in the final picture it looks so perfectly planned out

I have the feeling that Max didn't develop very much lately, it's kinda stuck in the place, there are no large new features since version 8. Don't know if it's just me. Do you ever think about trying another software than Max? Or are you so used to it that you wouldn't like to learn anything new?

When you work on a piece, do you show it to others while working? People in your surrounding, or internet forums? Or do you finish it alone and show just the finished one? Do you need people's motivation while working on something?

How old are your children?

Oh and how old are you?

Thank you for answer. I got few more questions :)

You are most active on devianart site. If you got new pictures, them shows much earlier on this site, than cgtalk or your website. Why this site is your favorite?

Some time ago you created series of objects for sale. Was it profitalble? Are you planing do somnthing like this in future?

I admire you because it seems you can do so much activites such as working in Ubisoft, taking care of your familly, doing freelance work, your personal work, and still have time for your hobbys. How do you finding time for all of this? Do you have some kind time machine? ;)

When I work on my personal projects, It is time for me to lot to experiment, lot to learn, and lot play with details, If you add not much free time it takes long to create finished work. How do you manage finish your personal works relatively fast? Is it takes much discipline? Do you give yourself some kind deadlines?

@Ania:

Do you ever think about trying another software than Max? Or are you so used to it that you wouldn't like to learn anything new?

im already using other tool , like zbrush or mudbox, but you never know what could be showing up next year.. i will take whatever i think that can help me improve my work!

When you work on a piece, do you show it to others while working? People in your surrounding, or internet forums? Or do you finish it alone and show just the finished one? Do you need people's motivation while working on something?

i kinda a like it secret till the end :) that my little hidden secret island, where i can go where my imagination leads me, no need of any interferences in here ;)

How old are your children?

Antonin is six years old, Matthieu is one year and half, my cat is thirteen years old ;)

Oh and how old are you?

..36... oh dear..

@Kefas:

You are most active on devianart site. If you got new pictures, them shows much earlier on this site, than cgtalk or your website. Why this site is your favorite?

DA is kinda new to me, and im having fun here ( great community ) it is more casual than in other cg forum, so i feel more like sharing stuff here..

Some time ago you created series of objects for sale. Was it profitalble? Are you planing do somnthing like this in future?

yes, absolutly, i still need to find some spare time to add that on my to do list :) it was quite rewarding the first years, yes, a couple of thousand $ in a year

I admire you because it seems you can do so much activites such as working in Ubisoft, taking care of your familly, doing freelance work, your personal work, and still have time for your hobbys. How do you finding time for all of this? Do you have some kind time machine?

Lol.. if i had a time machine, i wich i could improve it a bit ;) in fact there is no secret, i DO work overnight for the fun of my personnal work and freelances. I basically work three to four nights a week from 10 to one in the morning.. no games, no internet, pure work only..

oh.. btw i took a breack and started to play age of conan a bit, but now that i went trought the forst two months i will slow it down, and just play it for a bunch of hours a month.. my urge of going back to illustrations is quite intense theses days ;)

When I work on my personal projects, It is time for me to lot to experiment, lot to learn, and lot play with details, If you add not much free time it takes long to create finished work. How do you manage finish your personal works relatively fast? Is it takes much discipline? Do you give yourself some kind deadlines?

Exactly! that's my rule in fact... first, an illustration is more about overhall comp than details ( you just put them where you need them )

So i restrain myself to not go too crazy about modelling, and rather concentrate on the final look of my work. I usually finish an illustration in five to ten nights.. this is really important to me, because it is what it takes if you want to be a good freelancer

@Marduk

yup, exactly! frazetta is such an inspiration :)

Hej

od zawsze Twoje pracy robily na mnie duze wrazenie takie samo jak prace Stahlberga :)

Widac ze kochasz klimaty sf, potworki i inne stworki dlaczego wlasnie je robic najbardziej ? :)

No i chcialem rowniez zapytac jak wyglada Twoja praca arta :) czym sie dokladnie zajmujesz? ;) chodzisz i pokazujesz paluszkiem co poprawic czy raczej czuwasz nad wygladem calosci? czy moze tez starasz sie jak najwiecej zrobic sam ?

poprosze o tlumaczenie ;)

Cześć Pascal :). W Twoich pracach bardzo podoba mi się wyczucie barw, wszystkie kolory świętnie ze sobą współgrają. Gdybyś miał dać jedną radę odnośnie ich dobierania jak by ona brzmiała :)?

poprosze o tłumaczenie :)

Translation of Klicek's post:

Hello

Your artworks have always impressed me much, as well as Stahlberg's. I see, that you love SF stuff, monsters, beasts and so on. Why do you like making them the most?

Besides I'd like to ask you of your work as an artist. What do you do precisely? Do you walk around, pointing with finger what to improve, or rather you keep eye over the whole project in general, or you try to do as much as possible by yourself perhaps?

Translation of max1989's post:

Hello, Pascal :)

In your artworks i like sense of colours, all of them are perfectly fitting to each other. If you were about to give a piece of advice how to match them, what would you say?

• Like 1

Gość
Ten temat został zamknięty. Brak możliwości dodania odpowiedzi.

• Dodaj nową pozycję...

Powiadomienie o plikach cookie

Wykorzystujemy cookies. Przeczytaj więcej Polityka prywatności